You are here: Home Forum

Media Lens Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
emersberger

Reply with quote  #16 
Hi everyone.
Good question being asked about how exactly this place solve the headaches the Eds had with the MLMB. 

sir jay de mellow

Reply with quote  #17 
I would agree with flash and cj here. Think we might need certain contingencies/ emergency moderation pre getting our heads round legal ramifications. I would have thought the eds would be a good source for practical experience but more definite sources of legal info should be sought.

Id also be willing to check a membership gateway " I will not be offended box" disclaimer if required. Have a feeling tho that disclaimers..." the opinions expressed here dont reflect etc" dont really cut it in the modern statutary environment.
Hidari

Reply with quote  #18 
Just a wee note to everybody: running a forum is a huge and gigantic pain in the ass. My own vote is to just move to the forum. I share the puzzlement about how moving everyone to the Forum is going to solve the problems of the message board.
margo

Reply with quote  #19 
I like the immediacy and convenience of message-board type chat threads and go with the idea of creating a new separate message board as well as using this Forum as a resource?
On a positive note, this forum has nice EDIT and Delete functions.
CJ

Reply with quote  #20 
I'm not sure I like this Junior / Senior member classification - where does that come from?

cheers
margo

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi CJ, no idea where that classification comes from... You seem to have registered here a year before me, so technically you're more "senior". I've no wish to be classified "senior" and wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact I migrated in from the Old Forum Archive [confused]
mack

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by margo
Hi CJ, no idea where that classification comes from... You seem to have registered here a year before me, so technically you're more "senior". I've no wish to be classified "senior" and wonder whether it has anything to do with the fact I migrated in from the Old Forum Archive [confused]

Hi Margo and CJ (and all)

The senior/junior thing is just done on post count - when you hit a certain number, you become a senior. No doubt that can be set by whoever controls the levers and buttons of the host program - it's just an artefact of the program and can likely be switched off. 

Think we need to get everyone over here sharpish - the board's going to go - there'll be no delay, so the sooner people get their heads round that the better.

FWIW I'm all for new board - as was - and agree with the statements on immediacy and vibrancy. Though I don't see why we should have to say one or the other - why not use both? That is, set up an offshoot MB and continue to use this forum here for archiving etc. - and that way a direct connection is maintained - just thinking out loud...

Cheers! M
Jackie

Reply with quote  #23 
I'm here.
mack

Reply with quote  #24 
Everyman's draft proposal for consideration:

QUOTE:
Here is our Mission Statement:

1) We discuss our discussion process and constraints and language as part of our mission. Heightened group awareness of the process itself is one of our goals.

2) All fundamental questions of world media is our topic as is everything which arises from the fundamental, including day to day news reports.

3) The question of exclusion is a perennial topic and a central concern of all participants, because the possibility of exclusion means any particular participant can be excluded

4) We may begin with a method of hosting and an exclusion policy which may change according to the self governance we have all agreed upon

5) Should agreement not be 100% we will decide together on a voting system that itself will be mutable depending upon the will of the participants

6) We consciously see ourselves as the seed of a new society experimenting with leaderless ways to participate in non exclusionary discussion groups.

7) We welcome all newcomers with open arms because we realize the spread of our group means also the spread of our system of discussion, whose goal is to experiment with and discover new ways to communally investigate fundamental questions of media without the development of practical exclusionary powers.

8) self governance means also the discussion of the means of self governance, all is open to question. wherever we begin, no matter what system we begin with, it is open to change according to the will of the participants

END QUOTE
spike

Reply with quote  #25 
A very good start [smile]
Mary

Reply with quote  #26 
'Is there anybody there said the Traveller knocking at the moonlit door.....'[

Hello. 

Rhisiart Gwilym

Reply with quote  #27 
Hej Mary! Good to see you posting again. Yes, I'm here. Got in finally, after the runaround from Registration. It discovered - eventually - that I'm already registered, since way back. Don't know who's the bigger fool, me or the machine!  [smile]
spike

Reply with quote  #28 
If we do end up going with a new Boardhost board, it can essentially be made to ape the MLMB, i.e., a link to this forum in the descriptive preamble and maybe a priority spot for any subsequent Media Alerts if the Ed's don't mind the indirect association.
gio74

Reply with quote  #29 
Hi all,

This my first venture into the forum, i take it someone is constructing a new messageboard but we are yet to agree name and hosting etc?

Cheers,
Gio

Ps it would be good to know everyones twitter name if they have one
emersberger

Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidari
Just a wee note to everybody: running a forum is a huge and gigantic pain in the ass. My own vote is to just move to the forum. I share the puzzlement about how moving everyone to the Forum is going to solve the problems of the message board.

I think it may prove less conducive to ego-driven or malevolent grandstanding - less easy to use to demand attention and draw eyes to smears. We'll see. Like on said today on the MLMB, I preferred the old forum to the MLMB and came to use MLMB reluctantly at first back in 2005.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

leftAll photos courtesy of the Creative Commons, a nonprofit organization that enables the sharing and use of creativity and knowledge through free legal tools..

Like, Tweet and Share...