You are here: Home Forum

Media Lens Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
johnlilburne

Reply with quote  #1 
This is a safe recovery space for all those who are feeling withdrawal symptoms due to the imminent closure of the MLMB and feel the need to open up.  

I have visited the future and have made reservations for you all. Hope to see you there.  
toastkid

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks John.
I hope we can work something out.
Dan
madeleine

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you John.
please count me in
spike

Reply with quote  #4 
There was a kind of off-shoot of the MLMB called Persistence of Vision that ran perfectly well with very light moderation until they changed the format to look like 'The Forum', which killed it. The thing to do is get every interested persons email address, set up a new boardhost board, perhaps named after the title of this thread (or something) and when it's set up, let those people know. The board is absolutely the first thing I check in the morning and whenever I have a chance and to be honest, is Medialens to me. I'm prepared to help in whatever way I can, although I don't have the kind of skills needed to design the look of the thing. With the world in such a state of flux, it's vital that people who give a sh*t about having a true picture of the world have a place where they can post articles, argue the toss and educate each other.
sir jay de mellow

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey up lads and lasses.

Avanti

Sirjay/focus
CJ

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks John,

I wonder why this forum doesn't have the same problems of moderation as the Message Board??

cheers
flash

Reply with quote  #7 
The boardhost 'message board' format has worked well for the MLMB.  There have been criticisms of it's 'basic' format and lack of bells and whistles over the years, but the format seems to encourage participation.  This more modern ML Forum doesn't seem to do that.

So, I'm with spike... why not set up another boardhost message board.  It can be done for free (with ads) or it seems like there are enough willing to chip in to get a paid ad-free version.  But that can come later.  A free version could be set up now.  I'm happy to fiddle with the settings, etc, but I suspect it's not that technical and anyone could do it.

Are there legal implications, etc? I don't know... the boardhost terms and conditions do exclude certain content (racism, harrassment, obscenity, etc) http://boardhost.com/terms.html

So it would need some moderation... I suspect no one has time for that, but if enough people would be willing to join a moderation 'team'?

And the name... I think it needs to be nothing to do with ML, to avoid giving the Davids any more problems with guilt by association.

Finally, getting people informed about it... if the Eds are ok, then it could be promoted on the MLMB before it goes, and also here on the Forum.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now...

flash
Grace

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks John. Can I have a corner table not too near the loos? [smile]
mack

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
The boardhost 'message board' format has worked well for the MLMB.  There have been criticisms of it's 'basic' format and lack of bells and whistles over the years, but the format seems to encourage participation.  This more modern ML Forum doesn't seem to do that.

So, I'm with spike... why not set up another boardhost message board.  It can be done for free (with ads) or it seems like there are enough willing to chip in to get a paid ad-free version.  But that can come later.  A free version could be set up now.  I'm happy to fiddle with the settings, etc, but I suspect it's not that technical and anyone could do it.

Are there legal implications, etc? I don't know... the boardhost terms and conditions do exclude certain content (racism, harrassment, obscenity, etc) http://boardhost.com/terms.html

So it would need some moderation... I suspect no one has time for that, but if enough people would be willing to join a moderation 'team'?

And the name... I think it needs to be nothing to do with ML, to avoid giving the Davids any more problems with guilt by association.

Finally, getting people informed about it... if the Eds are ok, then it could be promoted on the MLMB before it goes, and also here on the Forum.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now...

flash

Nice one, John, for setting this up.

Agree with Flash - all of it, except the 'moderation team' bit. That should be wholly collective imo.

As far as a name goes? Doesn't really matter, but I suggest 'Rabbleistas', obv nicking RG's nomenclature for the collective board rabble. Also endorse Everyman's post to the MB, here http://members5.boardhost.com/medialens/msg/1450719704.html

- and pretty much what everyone else has expressed. We're all brothers and sisters here - be a great shame to lose that.

Cheers all

M
Vegetable Man

Reply with quote  #10 
We should have moved to this forum years ago but I thought the Eds, for a variety of reasons,  preferred the ephemeral nature of the Messageboard. 

Now the MLMB is no more,  it shouldn't be too difficult to appoint some of the old lags as Moderators here.

What an excellent resource this place could have been if it contained the last decade or so of postings from the Messageboard.  I suspect that only our friends at Cheltenham now have access to that useful archive.
toastkid

Reply with quote  #11 
A poll on what people want next.
Not tried this before sorry for any ads.
dan

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=56784bf8e4b092a58811a246
toastkid

Reply with quote  #12 
I, and I presume others, would be willing to set up a boardhost message board - If there are lots of people who want a say then a second voting platform might be helpful.
This looks interesting http://democracyos.org/
Does anyone else have alternatives.

dan
CJ

Reply with quote  #13 
Legal issues : given the stress caused to the Eds - we need to avoid this on the new board. I wonder whether the eds were given a check list by any lawyers which they could share with us?
If not then may I suggest that we ensure that the owners and managers of this new site are sue proof - either living in a legally sheltered location or someone without income assets or jobs or both!

cheers
toastkid

Reply with quote  #14 
CJ - I agree - I volunteered to host the board and then had pause for thought.
I've had a brief look at libel law and it seems that there is no protection but that there have been cases where the host has been absolved of responsibility for libelous comments.
However I would be keen to hear thoughts on what the risk is and whether avoiding UK libel law is possible if the person who signs up is outside the UK.

CJ

Reply with quote  #15 
Weren't they going to change the libel laws to prevent foreigners from using the UK's libel laws because they were so friendly towards the money owning plaintiffs.

If most of the Site is outside the UK and we have enough foreign users then we may not be within the ambit of UK libel laws - but I'm not a lawyer so it needs to be checked.

The other point apart from libel laws is the speed with which authorities can close down sites - back up systems need to be in place from day 1 .

Perhaps Julian Assange could give us some pointers[wink]

cheers
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!

leftAll photos courtesy of the Creative Commons, a nonprofit organization that enables the sharing and use of creativity and knowledge through free legal tools..

Like, Tweet and Share...